Strike Action











  1. Parties attempt to settle the dispute at the workplace through collective bargaining. If the dispute remains unresolved then it is referred for conciliation.
  2. The dispute can be referred to the bargaining council or the CCMA.
  3. The dispute may be settled or a certificate of outcome is issued stating that the dispute is unresolved or if 30 days has elapsed since the dispute was referred to the CCMA/Bargaining Council.
  4. The employer is given at least 48 Hours’ notice of the strike (7 days’ notice is required in the public sector.
  5. Employees embark on a protected strike (which may include establishing picketing rules).