- Alleged offence takes place.
- Line head begins investigation into facts.
- Approach witnesses and employee with alleged offence.
- Obtain written statements from witnesses.
- Give employee opportunity to state version in writing.
- The Employee may be assisted by representative.
- Line head decides if disciplinary action should be taken.
- If there is insufficient evidence, i.e.:
- No one under suspicion
- No evidence
Then there are no further steps in the process.
- If there is sufficient evidence to continue with the process then there are two steps to this, namely, informal process and formal process:
Once a disciplinary enquiry is convened, the chairperson decides on an appropriate sanction.
Should an individual be dismissed, they have the right to appeal to the CCMA/Bargaining Council.